Session IDate: Oct 27
Format of Participation: Online meeting system Webex
Theme: Artist online "Meet & Greet"
• Host: Mia
• Participant Artist:
- Ian Chang
- Yvette Young
- Aaron Liao
- K Marie Kim
- Limited to artists and industry professionals (30-50 people)
- Pre-registration and free of charge
- Limited spots for this session, available until tickets sold out.
We invite four internationally renowned artists to participate in a 10-minute "meet & greet," including an introduction to the equipment they use, their own experiences, performance and arrangement outlines... etc. Musicians will be invited to communicate online, ask questions, and interact online.
K. Marie Kim
K. Marie Kim is a Korean-Canadian musician and audio engineer active in the NYC and touring community since 2010. In 2021, she released her first solo EP "Run", and began her clinical audiology education in Vancouver, BC, to advocate for hearing health and accessibility in the music industry. Marie was trained classically in piano and cello under the Royal Conservatory of Music program, and earned her Bachelor of Music degree at Berklee College of Music with a dual degree in piano performance (jazz/contemporary), and music production & engineering. She has worked as touring and/or session musician for artists like Mitski, Meghan Trainor, Lorde, X Ambassadors, Shontelle, and St. Lucia. Her singing and cello playing can be heard on international ad campaigns for brands like Nike, USPS, Duncan Hines, Converse, and Fila. As an engineer, she mixed and managed production at the iconic Webster Hall, and toured mixing for artists like Dead Kennedys, Rosanne Cash, Ry Cooder, London Grammar, and Antonio Sanchez. Her goal is to continue making music for herself and others while serving the professional music community as an audiologist.
Yvette Young is the guitarist and writer for the band Covet. In addition to her band, she has a solo project where she plays piano, acoustic guitar, and violin. Yvette grew up classically trained in piano and violin and taught herself guitar while in the hospital. After completing a Fine Art and Visual Performing Arts education degree at UCLA, she worked as an art teacher awhile before transitioning to a full time musician. Because of her own personal experiences with using art and music as her own personal outlets, she is a huge advocate for music as a source of therapy and songwriting as a way to build self esteem and find a voice.
If drummer Ian Chang's music had eyes, there'd be a glint in them. Belonging, his first full-length album, is like a cyborg - part purring mechanism, part animate bio-mass rising from primordial ooze. In nine concise, largely instrumental pop songs, Chang conjures a personal cosmos: the listener feels as if we might reach out and touch Belonging's jagged and tender aural sculptures. At every level, his music sings with earnest and deceptive simplicity. The album's melodies are intimate, its rhythms rewarding, and yet, just beneath the surface glimmers innovation, as if the neurons firing in each melodic idea have become audible. From the tradition of Bjork, Burial, and Flying Lotus, Chang breathes a new kind of human vulnerability into electronica.
When Chang describes his creative process, the phrase "third culture" keeps coming up. Born in Hong Kong in 1988, Chang has lived a nomadic life. Stationed out of New York for 10 years, he built an impressive roster of progressive pop collaborators such as Moses Sumney, Kazu Makino, Joan As Policewoman, Body Language, Matthew Dear, and Rubblebucket, among others, all while performing internationally and recording as a member of Son Lux and Landlady. Now relocated to Dallas, Texas, Chang's discovered an inquisitive confidence that can only come from newfound isolation. Between tours, he dedicated himself to developing his international musical language, facilitated by a home studio and a burgeoning relationship.
Veteran multi-instrumentalist, composer and bandleader Aaron Liao fuses contemporary R&B and alternative rock influences with a classical and jazz pedigree. Beginning as a session bass player and artist in various musical outfits, Liao has since become an in-demand songwriter-producer for others, including rising genre-benders Raveena, Moses Sumney, and Sid Sriram.
Most recently, Aaron worked with Raveena co-writing and producing on her new album Asha's Awakening (2022, Warner). Notably he co-wrote and tracked bass for Raveena's 2018 and 2019 releases "Shanti" and "Lucid", which have garnered over 100 million plays worldwide and praise from NPR, The FADER, and NYMag's The Cut. He joined the prolific singer playing bass, keys, guitar, and musical directing on several U.S. tours, headlining sets at the Java Jazz Festival in Indonesia and on NPR's Tiny Desk series.
Aaron's versatility and dynamic musical directing skills are called upon regularly by the likes of Fousheé (RCA), Ant Saunders (Arista), Victoria Canal (Parlophone / Warner), and many others who trust his ear and enthusiasm to bring their records to life onstage.
Liao is currently based in Los Angeles.
- ACCUPASS online registration → click on the event page → Register Now → Fill in information → Next → Pending approval.
- The organizer will provide a link to the meeting for those who have passed the audit three days before the event, via email and Accupass website notification.
- Due to the professional nature of this activity, priority registration is given to music industry professionals, instructors, and related department students. Please fill-in the precise service unit and title. The organizer will confirm the registration status according to the order of registration after confirming the identity. We will not accept registration if the registration is not filled in or the fill-in is not recognizable.
- This activity is held "online" with Webex. Please download and install the APP & test before attending the event to ensure that the video and sound work properly.
- This event will have simultaneous interpretation between Chinese and English. When attending the sessions, participants can select "English" from the Webex interface earth icon.
- The edited recording of this event will be played back after the event, and participants are deemed to have agreed to make statements and portraits for public broadcasts during the event.
- The organizer reserves the right to modify the event.
Due to the professional nature of this activity, priority registration is given to music industry professionals, instructors, and related department students. Please fill-in the precise service unit and title. The organizer will confirm the registration status according to the order of registration after confirming the identity. We will not accept registration if the registration is not filled in or the fill-in is challenging to identify.
- Band / Unit.
- Email/phone number.
- Reason for attending the seminar.
- Questions you want to ask the artist (and name the artist) or things you want to know.